Tuesday, December 2, 2008

it’s so polite it’s so polite it’s offensive it’s offensive

This might be especially near and dear to my heart seeing how I’m super, crazy fan of her and her band the Dresden Dolls. If you couldn’t tell –cough- lol


Apparently Amanda Palmer from the Dresden dolls has left her record label after they refused to promote her new single Leeds United (wicked good song btw) and video because she showed off her stomach which to them was too fat. After filming the video, her label tried to remove shots of her stomach after she refused they told her it was unflattering therefore uncommerical.
Not only is this complete BS with a side of sexism and discrimination but its also confusing. What is so confusing to me is that ummm in what universe is she considered fat. I think this was just a way for them to finally get rid of her. She’s a gay rights activist and writes songs about rape, abortion, gender nonconformity, and the government. Not only that but she’s the scariest thing to a corporation there is: a women. I think they were more scared of losing control over a woman, then her single not selling.
I’m proud of her for standing up for herself. Even prouder of the fans who protested the record label. It’s good to know there are real female artist would that still give the finger to “the man”.

So what do you think?
Spot the invisible belly fat!

5 comments:

Kristenp said...

I know this band . Now I have that song stuck in my head "Coin operated boy." It is sad that a label would allow a great band to slip through their hands. The girl looks thin to me from the picture but why should it matter anyway? People should care about the music the artists make instead of their looks. Look at the lead singer from A Perfect Circle. He wears some of the weirdest clothes I have ever seen but he is still making it in music. It is healthier to have some fat on your body than 0%. It must be better for labels to promote eating disorders instead of healthy eating habits. At least she was strong enough to stand up for herself and leave the label instead of allowing them to change her. Her fans can look up to her for leaving. Think about what would have happened if she stayed. All her fans would worry about their weights and would want to change.

Kristenp said...

or her fans would have disowned her.

Pretzel001 said...

I agree that it is unfair of the company to drop her, all in all, just because of her confidence. She is obviously strong in what she believes and they should be happy to have such good artist on their label, but they obviously let their fear and intimidation take over.

CallMeSasha said...

What does looks have to do with being a great musician anyway. If you have tons of fans and they love your music and everything you are about physical appearence shouldn't matter. Im proud that she stood up for herself im sure I waould have done the same thing.

Nikori said...

I agree! I watched the video and was like, "Where? I don't see that much fat." She's not fat!

I have definetly seen people much bigger then her wear something much smaller...

I hate how much people place an emphasis on being skinny.