Tuesday, December 2, 2008

World AIDS Day

World AIDS Day was yesterday so I'm a little late in my posting but heck I was actually having an AIDS event so I was a tad busy.

World AIDS Day, possibly the most overlooked but most important day of the year falls every December 1st. Started as a day to continue HIV/AIDS awareness and honor those who are positive. On this day, health organizations from around the world come together to bring attention to the AIDS epidemic. 2008 marks the 20th anniversary of World AIDS Day. Now more then ever, we must be reminded that this disease has not gone away but has gotten worse. The CDC estimates that about 1.1 million people are living with HIV in America. Today the largest group hit by the virus isn't what you expect. Some would say gay men and/or IDU's but it is actually African American women that are hit the hardest. Regardless of who is hit the hardest, we all are hit by this. Black, white, gay, straight, male, female, disabled, whatever we are all effected. We have to not only take care of those around us but ourselves. We are the only ones that can take care of ourselves. It's easy really. Take control of sexuality. (Remember: Condoms=good). Get tested. Be safe. You only have one life, so make it last and make it count!

2 comments:

Kristenp said...

I read that "African Americans and Hispanic women account for 83 percent of AIDS cases reported among women, yet constitute only one-fourth of all U.S. women. In 2002, HIV/AIDS was the leading cause of death for African American women aged 25 to 34 years." I read this in "Contemporary Women's Health." AIDS is a serious deadly disease. People need to be safe. People should use condoms and get tested. It is scary to think that people are walking around with disease and are having sex with other people without knowing they have it. Since African American women were such a high percentage of the population who had it: they should help change this around. Get tested and educate your family,friends, and children about the disease.

Lyndsey said...

I definitely agree. World AIDS day is a very important day that is too often overlooked. I will be honest, I knew there was such a thing but I didn't know exactly when it was. There should be more advertising and support on World AIDS Day, in my opinion. I agree with Kristen, people do need to stay safe. Not only do they need to buy condoms and get tested, but also be aware of those dirty needles floating around out there.