Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ay Dios Mio

A little birdie told me recently (and when I say birdie I mean http://www.parentdish.com/2008/08/24/dora-the-explorer-getting-a-makeover/
told me) that Dora the Explorer is getting a "makeover". After picking my jaw off the floor, I was shocked at the recent news. It seems that Nickelodeon feels the need to update her a bit to draw in a older crowd. Now I understand completely why they would choose to do this. There is a ton of money in the tween market and maybe it's time for Dora to grow up with her viewers. A part of me feels sad about this also, after all Dora holds a grande place in my heart. As an older sister, I was always glad that Dora existed. For a Latina girl as myself it was nice to finally see a positive role model for my little sister. I also always loved her spunky tomboy style (that hair, that attitude) and her independent, feminist ways. Now it seems even little old Dora is feeling the pressure of the female ideal. A makeover in my mind only means one thing: Dora's gonna get girly. The very thought of it is heartbreaking, seeing the ways in which the media and the toy companies portray "girly". My only thought is that Dora might get the Brat's treatment. An idea that is equally terrifying seeing just how minorities are treated by Mattel (because don't you know that all little Latina/African America girls wear mini's and have big asses and lips). My only hope is that the sensitivity and understanding that created this character can survive in this day and age.

5 comments:

HeatherR said...

Interesting post! Here's a link to an article in the New York Times that looks at this makeover as well as the makeover of other cartoon characters. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/business/media/11cartoons.html?ex=1370923200&en=06021ade9490b034&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Deborah said...

I think it's sad they feel the need to make her grow up in our world today children have to grow up to fast I say let her character stay young as long as she can for the children. Give a makeup to an already teenager character cartoon.

Rachael said...

well this is very interesting, but i think that they should not give dora a make over! Little kids love watching her and this show doesn't need to attract an older crowd. More and more kids watch it everyday, they get new viewers, so why do they need to make dora attract an older crowd? i don't know.

catie said...

i think there trying to make a kid show into a tween show. There are trying to make her into a stereotypical girl rather then the tomboy she is.

Britty said...

I don't like Dora. I've been around when kids are screaming at the television at her, I'm not exactly sure how healthy it is.. But, this doesn't really surprise me. Of course they want to make an older Dora, they want to draw in more revenue! I wonder what she'll look like. I'm a huge Nickelodeon fan, and I am interested to see how they play out the storyline, if they do in fact make her "girly", etc. I guess we'll all have to wait and find out!