For some reason I'm the go to girl when it comes to this issue.
(Cause don't you know that all gay girls know each other therefore I must know that this 20 something celebrity who I never met is batting for my team)
Lindsay Lohan...is she or isn't she. Months ago one would think the "is she/isn't she" question was about a drug addition or an eating disorder rumour. Know times have changed, now the question on everyones mind is : is she gay.

Honestly when the news first hit, I must admit I was intrigued. And maybe I might have gossiped a little about the pop tart, speculating about her sexuality. I might have even had a deep philosophical conversation with my girlfriend about how Samantha is sexy with a capital S. There's no doubt about it that I was victim to the gossip gods.
But how could I not be. Everytime I opened a magazine, everytime I (and don't judge me on this) checked tmz.com all I saw was a spread of pictures of Lindsay her "girlfriend" Samantha. Quotes from so called close friends of the girls saying that they are the newest it couple. All the while of course, the girls have never said they were in a relationship. Maybe that's my biggest issues about this whole thing.
If Lindsey were to officially come out, it would be great. Finally there would be a (mostly) positive role model for teenage girls who are dealing with their sexuality. The fact that it's a clearly a loving and supportive relationship, that Sam has apparently cured Lohan of her wicked wicked partying ways is plus. Too long had gay relationship been seen as a phases or a dangerous, purely sexual unhealthy thing. Truth be told, images of gay couples are few and fare in between in the media. Other then the Ellen's and Rosie's, there really is no lesbian visibility. Putting a positive face on such a controversial topic [of GLBT loving] would really help middle America learn that gay is truly is okay and that normal/healthy relationships are real. Not saying that one couple could change homophobes into PFLAG members, but the couple could combat the invisibility/bias in the media.
The thing is, she hasn't come out yet. And guess what America: IT'S HER RIGHT!! How dare the media out her like this. Not only is it no one's business but the coming out process is an extremely private and personal matter. Anybody that has been through it knows that being outed is the hardest thing to deal with. What really upsets me is when the gay media speculates on the issue. After reading Perez Hilton blog, in which he belittles Samantha; focusing on her androgynous looks and calling Lindsay a lesbo, I can not believe that a gay men would do such a thing. He of all people should know the ridicule, discrimination , and daily struggles one has to deal with being gay in the public eye. I'm not expecting that the media gives up it's gossiping ways. I mean that's where the money is but maybe just possibly could they atleast try and remain respectful to the GLBT community. Last time I checked "Lesbo" is a derogatory term. Just a guess, but I doubt that these mags would title an article on African American using the word "negro".
And with that note
I'm stepping off my soapbox
EDIT: Well it seems she just come out kinda sorta maybe
She seemed to do it in such a half assed way, that I'm a little wary
Atleast some of the media have been nice about there relationship, making it out to be a positive thing which I think really shines a positive light on the LGBTQ community.
5 comments:
I was so shocked when i first heard about linsey. but after a while once i saw all the pictures and news i believed it. Linsey has been through a lot in life, and what ever makes her happy then go Girl. but I'm hearing reports now that her life might be spinning out of control again. i think the press just needs to butt out of everyones life for a lil, or just to take it easy on them. they seem to be the cause of why there getting out of control.
I was so shocked when i first heard about linsey, and that she might be dating her long time friend who happens to be a girl. i didn't believe it at first, but after i started seeing pictures it became more clear. Linsey has been through a lot the last couple of months and that might be why she turn. but its her life and if she is happy then Go girl. but from what I'm hearing now is that her life is spinning out of control again.
Lindsay has every right to keep her sexuality quiet. When she is ready she will let everyone know. I did not feel shocked. I felt happy for her. I am glad that she knows who she is. Not many people know themselves that well. She appears to be very happy and I am happy for her.
As it seems she has not admitted to anyone anything which is her private business and life she is going through a lot maybe support is what she needs now unless I'm missing something nothing has been admitted and who cares let it go.
I think I'm a little late for this topic, but I heard recently she admitted to a radio host that she is in fact dating a woman? I may be wrong, but they have pressured her so much about this issue, and I agree, it is her right to keep whatever she would like to keep private. The public feels like they are owed something by these celebrities.. It's very strange.
Post a Comment