Sunday, November 30, 2008

All I want for christmas...

The holiday season is upon us which means Black Friday, packed malls and last minute shopping. Must of us opt to keep things a little simpler by buying our loved ones a gift certificate. But no one is taking advantage of this like Indiana. Why Indian you say? Is there a gift certificate for corn or whatever there famous for? Oh no. In Indian they are offering gift certificates for Planned Parenthood. These certificates can be used for everything from birth control to breast exams and pap tests. The organization says that a higher number of unemployed and uninsured visitors lately prompted this idea.

Personally I’m not only super excited by this but also really pleased by this as well. I’m a major supporter of Planned Parenthood and I mean what’s better then helping people who can’t afford health care on their own. I think this will really save a lot of lives and further the education of young girls and women in the Indian area. My only hope is that this will spread to other states as soon as possible. Sadly (but not at all surprisingly) people are freaking out. When I say people I mean the religious right. Apparently they are fearful that OMG girls will use this to get abortions. Because you know that is the only thing Planned Parenthood does. Lets just see how long this lasts and if it works. Because knowing our country, even though this is an extremely positive thing, someone will shut it down due to personal beliefs.

-sighs-

2 comments:

ewest said...

I agree that this is a possbile idea, and it makes me upset how ignorant people can be at times. Planned Parenthood does a lot more than just abortions, it educates youth on top of many other services it provides. Since there not forcing it upon everyone, I dont't understand why people who disagree need to get involved with it. Its available for those who want it, and those who disagree can take it or leave it. People, especially religious groups, need to realize that not everyone is on the same page as them, and they should stop preaching to people what is right and what is wrong.

CallMeSasha said...

It may seem a little strange becasue when most think of planned parenthood they immediatly think of abortions. but offering giftcertificates can really help promote womens health and and encourage women to visit the doctor more regularly. Religious beliefs should have nothing to do with protecting yourself as a woman. Good for you Indiana!