The UN decided that November 25, 2008 is now the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Not merely a day to raise awareness or remember the victims/honor the survivors but this day also stands to combat violence against women with continuous education, and protect for women in need. Ines Alberdi, Executive Director of the United Nations Development Fund for Women states that the UN seeks to prompt police response, provide free legal and health services to the poor, and provide shelters and 24 hour hotlines for emergency purposes. They hope that by raising awareness on this issue, more women will come forward and national discrimination and bias will end.
I am beyond pleased with the decision to mark this day. I only hope that one day we can speak openly about this issue; instead of pretending like it doesn’t happen and learn from our past mistakes. Not only does this issues effect the personal lives of million of women and children but of the nation as a whole. It affects, as a whole, our safety, our morals, crime rates, etc. but also our economy. Apparently, “the economic costs of domestic violence in the United States alone exceed more than $5.8 million each year”, says the UN. Although I don’t think that violence will ever stop against women (hey, I’m a realist), I think education can help to end the shame that surrounds victims and laws can help protect the survivors. Lets all cross our fingers and toes that this will make an impact!
A Double Shot at Love
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment